[Baylisa] BayLISA in Six Days - Short But Cool (and a personal appeal for old flash drives)

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Fri Dec 14 08:55:07 PST 2012

Hi folks,

DECEMBER BAYLISA MEETING

We're still collecting details on this month's Short-but-Cool talks at
BayLISA.

Details/RSVP: http://www.meetup.com/BayLISA/events/46829162/
When: Thursday 12/20/2012 7:30pm at LinkedIn (room TBD)

If you'd like to give a talk, it's an easy task in general. You get 10
minutes to either demonstrate or talk about something interesting you've
been doing. There's a couple of minutes for question-and-answer (or you can
take them inline, or not at all), and then you go back to your seat and
relax, knowing you've done something very few BayLISA attendees have ever
done.

Drop a note back to me if you're interested, or if you want to vette a
topic or demo. Assuming work doesn't get any hairier than it already is
(and that would probably require work to develop a gland condition or
lycanthropy at this point), I'm planning to either talk about moving huge
amounts of data, or deploy a Hadoop cluster on my laptop. So feel free to
join in the fun!

LOOKING FOR OLD FLASH DRIVES

And as a personal appeal... I'm looking for some smallish flash drives.
Remember how you felt the first time you burned a 1 meg file to a CD-ROM?
That's kinda how I feel when I'm rummaging through a box of 4-64GB flash
drives for something to install a 100MB boot image on. And remember the
last time you had a use for those 256MB vendor flash drives taking up space
in your drawer or your car ashtray? Didn't think so. :)

If you have some smaller/older/unwanted flash drives that you'd like to
find a new home for, bring them to the meeting and I'll take them off your
hands and give them new life. I can use anything 64MB and up but worst
case, I'll see that they're recycled if I can't use them.

MEETINGS FOR 2013

We're looking for topics, speakers, and venues/sponsors for 2013 meetings.
If you'd like to make a suggestion, or if you'd like to volunteer for any
or all of the above, drop me a note. BayLISA is about what you, our guests
and members, want it to be about.

Thanks,
Robert Novak
BayLISA President