[Baylisa] A Minor Etiquette Question

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Thu Dec 6 14:45:50 PST 2012

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Roy Rapoport <rsr at inorganic.org> wrote:

> On 12/6/12 2:19 PM, Robert Novak wrote:
>
>> if someone has a good relationship with a local (Bay Area)
>> recruiter/headhunter, they could get said person to come in to the
>> December
>> BayLISA meeting and talk briefly about life and candidate hunting from the
>> other side.
>>

> If you guys would be interested in this, one of my long-time friends has
> been a recruiter for a while now and I suspect would be happy to present; I
> can check.  she's also one of the saner recruiters I've worked with.
>  Actually, hell.  I knew a few of them.  We could do a panel :)

That would be great. Feel free to contact me off-list to follow up on this
idea.

> But in short, don't take recruiters personally, don't take your beef with
>
>> their postings to a public forum, and remember, if "TEN YEARS MINIMUM
>> WINDOWS 7 SERVER EXPERIENCE" is the worst, most annoying thing you read
>> today, you're doing better than a lot of us out here.
>>

> I don't know that it's about taking it personally.  I'm not offended per
> se; it's more that when I see a position that isn't impossible, just
> massively undercompensated, it worries me that some poor sysadmin somewhere
> out there -- someone who by dint of their profession I consider a brother
> or sister in this trade of ours -- is going to get shafted.  And part of me
> wants to say "wait, you can do better."

Yeah... sometimes I worry as well, but the recruiter (internal or external)
has little control over what the hiring company has decided to pay.

It's probably easier to point sysadmin types toward a reputable salary
survey (like LISA's at
https://www.usenix.org/news/2011-lisa-sysadmin-salary-survey-results-are-now-available--
should be open to the public soon) or Glassdoor or something like
that.
They can be prepared and have a sense of what they should be getting, and
hiring companies who want to lowball talent will get their just desserts as
well.

Robert