how far have mac's made it into large installations?

Steve Acheson satch at cisco.com
Sun Apr 24 15:02:02 PDT 2011

> I know I am the exception to the rule, but I gotta say, getting along
> with Ubuntu hasn't been any more difficult--generally easier
> than--other OSes, including Mac.  I suspect that if others are having
> this experience, Linux desktop market share may be set to start gaining.
I do agree that Linux desktops are getting much closer, and that I would
probably be able to find one that would just work more or less for me
easily enough if I bothered to try.  Mostly I just want it to to work
out of the box and not have to learn yet another UI/WM, etc.

And, speaking from the non-developer, IT like support role, I need
something that works with the rest of the executive chosen applications
and corp IT imposed tools/rules/etc.  Linux is getting there too,
crossover, etc, but it's still just that extra bit to get it working.

And I spend just as much time trying to find apps for Linux as I do for
OSX.   Not every distro has every app in it's port/apt/portage tree/system.

And, as I said, it's been a while since I have tried a linux desktop.
Right now, OSX works for me and it's marginally better than Windows7.
(hell of a lot stabler and I don't have near as much corporate security
resource sucking mandatory apps as I would on windows).  I just need
something that's stable and consistent.  Apple provides that better than
any Windows Vendor, and I'm satisfied with that I guess.

satch
P.S.  I'd probably look at FreeBSD as a desktop next...  I came from the
NetBSD camp, via BSD386, via SunOS4.  Never really liked SysV or
(shudder) AIX.