how far have mac's made it into large installations?

Daniel Bethe dtm at smuckola.org
Fri Apr 22 10:43:07 PDT 2011

Hi guys.  Thanks for the cool thread.  As a long time Mac user, I was just
looking up this issue.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/apple-in-the-enterprise-living-without-xserve/9399?tag=nl.e539

There are other companion articles on the subject.  Now, I'm not sure who's
stockpiling or clustering of Mac Minis in the data center, or why they're
wanting that many instances of Mac OS.  ;-)  But I guess for someone, somewhere
it's cost effective!  I guess!  I'd really like to know.  Also, I was surprised
to find that a multiuser Mac OS terminal service exists
( http://www.aquaconnect.net/ ).  Speaking of which, I read an article that Mac
OS 10.7 beta ships with a multiuser VNC service.

Anyway, it is said that Apple is accidentally seeding the enterprise -- brought
in backpacks, pockets, and briefcases --  and succeeding despite themselves.
 Sometimes it's due to hardheaded VPs who coerce IT to support a given one-off
cool product.  It was cool to hear from the person at Netflix about their
widespread Mac deployments.  I've always heard that Netflix has a positive
culture, and I'm a huge fan, so thanks for being candid.

Personally, in my humble opinion, I think we're fortunate that Steve was
effectively sent out to start NeXT in the enterprise market, and bring back such
a high-caliber product in the form of OPENSTEP.  Or else Mac OS might have
become a one-trick pony for consumers, and Macs might be basically giant
iPods... instead of iPods being tiny Macs.  ;-)

And on a final note for the future of all computing, I'll say thank God for ZFS.
 ( http://code.google.com/p/maczfs/ )  My personal system at home has an 8x2TB
raidz1 on Mac OS.  Hopefully, Ten's Complement will revitalize the community
soon with their port of the latest Solaris ZFS code, and bring in the new era of
Mac OS's storage strategy.  Mac OS needs enterprise technology, because the
platform fosters such large workstations with the same kind of intensity and
scale as has been associated by the likes of SGI.