how far have mac's made it into large installations?

Robert Harker harker at harker.com
Fri Apr 22 18:11:25 PDT 2011

Ahh, if Macs only had "pick and stuff" and "focus follows mouse".  I was given a Mac when I joined Yahoo.  Nice hardware, but I hate it.

What was two clicks under X-windows, pick (highlit) the text.  Move mouse to second window and click to stuff the text move the mouse to the first window and do simething useful.  Becomes 3 or more clicks and two keyboard strokes.  High light the text, apple C to copy the text, click to select second window (Which pops to the top), apple V to paste the text, and then click on the original window to go back.

I know about highlighting text and dragging it, but it does not always work.  And it doesn't work if you touch anything between highlighting the text and trying to drag.  I just found myself clicking the mouse all the time and about half the time typing in a different window unexpectedly.  More than once I typed my password into the IRC.  Oops...

If I had never used pick and stuff, I would be happy.  But I am an old gray beard.  "When I was a lad we used Suntools".

I now mostly work at my RHEL desktop at work and do not enjoy working remotely.

RLH