RT vs Bugzilla

Cyrus Vesuna cyrus.sage at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 12:48:38 PST 2006

Danny,
It doesnt. That is a limitiation of bugzilla.

However I translate it into an advantage ...
You do not get an email like "it doesn't work", since users are forced
to make a selection
for the type of issue, whether its a server/network/general etc , as
well as other info, you
as support get a better chance of fixing the issue w/o having to walk
up to the user and
ask them for all the details. (Ofcourse the user can select everything
wrong just to throw you off, or to mislead you, however, if they do
want to be helped {yes most do!} they try
and reflect in the choices the correct issues they think are involved)

Email gives you the liberty of unstructured data, unstructured data +
lack of user discipline (in describing the issue) means you have a
database full of bugs just that you need to spend 'x' hrs a day
chasing down users via email, in person or via phone to figure out
what the hell they meant when they said "it doesn't work"

Finally, structured data means I can pull up through reports in
bugzilla, how many server related, network related, desktop related
issues were there in a period, helps mgmt get an idea of day to day
ops as well as staff augmentation for overloaded areas....

C.