RT vs Bugzilla

Cyrus Vesuna cyrus.sage at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 11:20:26 PST 2006

Danny,
I went through this 3 months ago, in nearly the exact same situation.
So I setup Bugzilla, & RT both and 'previewed' it to the users. Bugzilla
won hands down..
why?
1. users already familiar with it
2. knowing how to use it, meant ppl actually used it and didn't take
the easier route of
    a) Water cooler attacks
    b) Stroll up to his cube attacks :)
3. (2) in turn meant less of "Please use the helpdesk system, since I
can't remember all your requests" etc.
4. (2) & (3) means we actually have a system in place which is used.
Goal is accomplished. Now whether the tool does all that you need is a
different question altogether :(

Bad news:
1. Bugzilla is just that -- a bug tracking system it does not have the
flexibility that RT has nor does it support the concept of multiple
queue's. So if its a couple of ppl (like my case and your case) its
ok, as you get more ppl handling the requests it will take a lot of
discipline not to step over each others toes..
2. There are a few more, but they are more of a personal opinion.. :)

HTH

Cyrus