RT vs Bugzilla

John Clear jac at panix.com
Mon Mar 6 11:17:32 PST 2006

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 09:48:13AM -0800, Danny Howard wrote:

> Anyone who has experience here?  Advice?  Wisdom?  Is RT sufficiently
> awesome that I can give a decent explanation to my boss as to why we
> are using our own tool?  Or should I just suck it up and do the
> Bugzilla thing?

If your customers are primarily engineers, I'd use Bugzilla since they
are already familiar with using it.  If a big portion of your user
base is sales/finance non-techie types, RT might be a better option.

A system the users are familiar with, even if it isn't perfect, is better
then a system that they will avoid using since it is difficult/different.

At $WORK, one engineering group uses Gnats, another uses a combination
of Bugzilla and RT.  The corporate overlords have dictated that IT
shall use Remedy, and the users (and IT) hate it since the local
implementation sucks[1].  It is hard to convince users to open a
helpdesk ticket if it crashes their browser.

John
[1] We've been trying to convince our PHB of Tom's rule that if it is
difficult and something done once, hire someone to do it.  So far, we've
been unsuccessful.