[SAGE] System Administrator Tool chest..

Richard Chycoski rskiadmin at chycoski.com
Tue Feb 7 12:55:55 PST 2006

I have a pair of custom molded 'Noise Brakers'. They have a little valve
in them that lets the pressure equalise and makes it possible to hold a
conversation (although not as transparent as noise reducing headphones,
you're right that the latter are useless in a DC).

I got them at Sears (in Canada) in the hearing aid department, but this
was many years ago. I don't know if Sears still does this (in Canada or
the US), but you might try suppliers of hearing aids or industrial ear
protection.

They're not quite as effective as full ear muffs, but they are very
good. They're also translucent and relatively unobtrusive - e.g., if you
want to sleep through a meeting... (:-)

Also - remember to relax as much as possible when they're taking the
mold, which involves pouring a compound called 'Audilin' (I think) into
your ear. I had to have one ear redone because of fit, mostly because I
had clenched my jaw too much when the mold was made. It's not at all
painful, just strange to have cold wet molding compound in your ear...

- Richard