[SAGE] System Administrator Tool chest..

vraptor at employees.org vraptor at employees.org
Tue Feb 14 15:46:28 PST 2006

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Richard Chycoski wrote:

> I have a pair of custom molded 'Noise Brakers'. They have a little valve in
> them that lets the pressure equalise and makes it possible to hold a
> conversation (although not as transparent as noise reducing headphones,
> you're right that the latter are useless in a DC).
>
> They're not quite as effective as full ear muffs, but they are very good.
> They're also translucent and relatively unobtrusive - e.g., if you want to
> sleep through a meeting... (:-)
>
> Also - remember to relax as much as possible when they're taking the mold,
> which involves pouring a compound called 'Audilin' (I think) into your
> ear. I had to have one ear redone because of fit, mostly because I had
> clenched my jaw too much when the mold was made. It's not at all
> painful, just strange to have cold wet molding compound in your ear...

You can get the low-end version of these made for about $50 at any gun
show.  They are made of a catalyst/silicon mixture and set up in about
10-15 minutes (and you're supposed to wiggle your jaw and swallow
while the silicon is setting, Richard ;-).

They are quite good if you get them without strings for putting under
your motorcycle helmet.  You can also go with more high-end versions.
Some are very similar to the active noise-cancelling ear muffs, only
an in-ear version.  They can also be built to act as "monitors" for
radios and other communication systems, or with just your normal 3.5mm
stereo plug with headphones.

Of late, I've been using silicon-flanged in-ear headphones with my
iPod (Apple, Sony, Shure, various brands--I have Sony's and Apple's)
pretty much all the time.  I ride public transit out here on the right
coast, and these help keep me from going bonkers from the noise/
people (hazards of being an introvert).  They also are quite useful in
the datacenter, since companies seem ignore the OSHA requirements for
ear protection in enviro's above 80-85db.  I guess they get away with
it because we are (usually) only in there for short periods of time.

I can point people to a number of hearing protection resources if
there's interest, or email me privately.  I used to make the low-
end custom molded earplugs on the side.

=Nadine=