[SAGE] System Administrator Tool chest..

John Clear jac at panix.com
Tue Feb 7 12:40:52 PST 2006

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 11:21:50AM -0800, John Costello wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Cat Okita wrote:
> > [0] ... and it's -really- easy to get badly dehydrated in the datacenter
>
> Ear plugs.  It isn't so bad in the small server rooms (10x10), but after
> half an hour in a large DC my ears are ringing.

I use clam shell style ear muffs anytime I'm in my data centers.
My main data center is just uncomfortably loud, my other one makes
your ears ring after just a few seconds in the room.  Conversation
is still possible, since the ear muffs dont block out much in the
voice range, and even without hearing protection, you need to shout
to be heard over the noise.

I've looked into active hearing protection a bit, but most of what
I've found is geared toward lower frequency construction type noise,
and not the higher frequency fans and such that you find in a data
center.

Anybody find any good active hearing protection, preferably something
that lets you hook up a cell phone to it?

John