Bay Area home internet

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Aug 17 14:46:27 PDT 2006

Quoting Bill Ward (bill at wards.net):

> My mom was on Sonic for a year but recently switched to AT&T/Yahoo due
> to price.  These ISPs that offer DSL are really just reselling the
> AT&T service....

No, they're not -- at least not Raw Bandwidth and similar ones.  They
use the ex-PacBell, ex-SBC, now-called-AT&T company's ATM cloud and
last-mile gear, but do _entirely_ their own DSLAM and IP-provisioning
work.  Thank Ghod.

> so there's no way they can compete on price.

Raw Bandwidth's small premium is worth every penny to my household for
competence and reliability.  On the rare occasions when
SBC/whatever-they-are-this-week shoots their customers in the foot,
Mike Durkin is on them like a remora until it's fixed.