UPS Batteries, etc

Jim Hickstein jxh at jxh.com
Fri Aug 11 17:45:24 PDT 2006

Hal Pomeranz wrote:
> 1) The install is generally much more turnkey.  The generic
> replacement sets often require you to use parts (fuses, bus bars, etc)
> from the previous battery packs, meaning a little more wrenching time
> for you when doing the replacement.  The "official replacement" packs
> generally just pop right in with minimum fuss.

I've had "replacement" batteries where the terminals aren't _quite_ the
same, and I ended up doing significant modifications to the external
metal, i.e. even further from turnkey.  Dealing locally should permit a
side-by-side comparison.

> 2) The "official replacement" packs include postage paid return labels

Yup.  And 3) The manufacturer may extend the warranty on the whole unit.
  APC "Charge-UPS" kits do this for some units.  This once paid off for
me handsomely; the warranty included advance replacement and overnight
_air freight_.  I don't know how much it cost them to send a box of lead
Priority Overnight, but it had to be a significant fraction of the money
I paid them for the batteries.