UPS Batteries, etc

Robert Harker harker at harker.com
Fri Aug 11 20:18:07 PDT 2006

I weigh in on the generic replacement batteries.  I have some HP UPSs
that I replaced the batteries on.  I recommend that you open your unit
up and take a look.  If they seem to be custom batteries, then SOL.
But if they seem like standard sealed lead acid batteries, they they
are probably stock items.  Batteries are specified by amperage and voltage
My UPS takes 7.0 AH 12 Volt batteries.  The next thing to look at is overall
dimensions of the batteries, L x W x H.  The last thing is the type and size
of the power tabs on the battery.  There are multiple brands available.
My personal feeling is that sealed lead acid batteries are a stable
technology, so brand should not matter as long as it is a fly by night brand.
Funny thing for me is that when I opened up some older, smaller Trip-Lite
UPSs I had laying around, they a single of the same battery.

I also used Rage Batteries in San Diego because of their price.  When looking
at price, always include shipping.  For many vendors, shipping was almost
as much as the batteries them selves.

Hope this helps
RLH