UPS Batteries, etc

Hal Pomeranz hal at deer-run.com
Fri Aug 11 16:41:53 PDT 2006

> In practice, is it best to replace UPS brand X's batteries with
> official replacement batteries from brand X, or is it reasonably safe
> to purchase generic replacement batteries from a reputable vendor?

I've done both.  The nice thing about the "official replacement"
packs is:

1) The install is generally much more turnkey.  The generic
replacement sets often require you to use parts (fuses, bus bars, etc)
from the previous battery packs, meaning a little more wrenching time
for you when doing the replacement.  The "official replacement" packs
generally just pop right in with minimum fuss.

2) The "official replacement" packs include postage paid return labels
to send the old battery packs back to the menufacturer for recycling.
If you have a local, cheap option for recycling led-acid batteries then
this is less useful.

As far as the on-line vendors, I've used BatteryWholesale.com a couple
of times and they've been fine.

Hal Pomeranz, Founder/CEO      Deer Run Associates      hal at deer-run.com
    Network Connectivity and Security, Systems Management, Training