UPS Batteries, etc

Tony Del Porto tony at usenix.org
Fri Aug 11 16:20:22 PDT 2006

Hey folks,

Back in January of 2005 there was a thread on UPS batteries, but I
seem to only have part of it. So....

In practice, is it best to replace UPS brand X's batteries with
official replacement batteries from brand X, or is it reasonably safe
to purchase generic replacement batteries from a reputable vendor? If
the latter, any recommendations for said reputable, preferably local,
vendor? I'm faced with $2k in replacement battery costs if I go with
official replacements, and I don't plan to keep the UPS system we
have in place for more than six months. I'd love to upgrade now and
avoid the replacement issue altogether, but APC doesn't have any
available units to buy right now.

Thanks,

Tony Del Porto
SysAdmin
USENIX Association
2560 9th Street, Suite 215, Berkeley CA 94710
tony at usenix.org | www.usenix.org | www.sage.org