Exchange replacements

Michael T. Halligan michael at halligan.org
Mon Sep 19 18:41:58 PDT 2005

Roy S. Rapoport wrote:

>On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 06:05:00PM -0700, Michael T. Halligan wrote:
>

>>Patti,
>>
>>Scalix, Mirapoint, and Communigate are the best of breed.. Supposedly
>>

>We've not been incredibly impressed here with Communigate (I don't mean
>that as a euphemism for "it really really sucked," just ... eh).  On the
>other hand, I just hired a mail engineering that had some work with UC
>Berkeley's efforts at using Communigate, and mentioning the product to him
>is a good way to get him to spit blood.
>
>-roy

Roy,

Ditto on Communigate. I haven't been overly impressed with them either.
They definitely get
points for their staying power... I started seeing their booths at
conferences a decade ago.  Their
interface is ugly, and ambigious. Some simple tasks are very
unintuitive, like selecting the type
of mailbox an account should use, but easily remediedif you read the
directions (gasp).

Communigate does have the added bonus of being one of three (out of the
20ish) solutions we reviewed
that was built for an ASP-like environment.. Which meant truely separate
LDAP domains.  The only
other two were Bynari and Mirapoint.

Scalix has hope, though, since it was built on HP's OpenMail codebase.
They all need work. Honestly,
Exchange is the best solution for this problem right now.

Michael T. Halligan
Chief Technology Officer
BitPusher, LLC
http://www.bitpusher.com/