Exchange replacements

Jim Hickstein jxh at jxh.com
Mon Sep 19 18:36:32 PDT 2005

> Scalix, Mirapoint, and Communigate are the best of breed.. Supposedly
> Oracle's collaboration suite is
> really good, but even with TCO considerations, Exchange is a fraction of
> Oracle's cost.

Dude.  I just migrated a large university off of OCS and onto Mirapoint.
(It's my job, but only after someone makes the decision.)  They hated OCS
with a passion, and I don't think it was only the CIO and the Treasurer who
did.  They didn't go into specifics.  In general, the CIOs _love_ Mirapoint
and the sysadmins are slightly less enthusastic.  (It's a change.)  But I run
a specialty email provider in my spare time and I get to sleep at night.
That's worth a lot.

> We evaluated about
> 14 different exchange-clone solutions over the summer. Mirapoint is the
> best of them, but a magnitute more
> expensive than Scalix.

Ask for a BayLISA member discount!  :-)  (Joking, but only in part.)

> For the Thunderbird integration, there's always Sunbird.. but Sunbird is
> pretty worthless right now.

Whatever became of Ximian Evolution?