Exchange replacements

Michael T. Halligan michael at halligan.org
Mon Sep 19 18:44:41 PDT 2005

Jim,

>>Scalix, Mirapoint, and Communigate are the best of breed.. Supposedly
>>Oracle's collaboration suite is
>>really good, but even with TCO considerations, Exchange is a fraction of
>>Oracle's cost.
>>

>Dude.  I just migrated a large university off of OCS and onto Mirapoint.
>(It's my job, but only after someone makes the decision.)  They hated OCS
>with a passion, and I don't think it was only the CIO and the Treasurer who
>did.  They didn't go into specifics.  In general, the CIOs _love_ Mirapoint
>and the sysadmins are slightly less enthusastic.  (It's a change.)  But I run
>a specialty email provider in my spare time and I get to sleep at night.
>That's worth a lot.

I agree with you on Mirapoint. I'm only looking for a good
justification, then I'm buying one
for my customer-base. For the low-end, it's relatively expensive, but I
think will be mitigated
by a far lower total cost of ownership than the other exchange clones.
I'd be happier if clustering
them was easier/cheaper.

>>We evaluated about
>>14 different exchange-clone solutions over the summer. Mirapoint is the
>>best of them, but a magnitute more
>>expensive than Scalix.
>>

>Ask for a BayLISA member discount!  :-)  (Joking, but only in part.)

I've been talking for a while now about trying to create a buyer's club
out of BayLisa.. If a dozen
sysadmins call up a vendor at the same time saying "Hey, I'm a member of
BayLisa, all the other
BayLisa members are buying from you, I will too if the price was right"
.... that could mean something.

--
Michael T. Halligan
Chief Technology Officer