Location..

Brent Thompson brent at hplbct.hpl.hp.com
Thu Oct 13 10:47:31 PDT 2005

> Is the goal to inject some new blood into BayLisa, or to maintain the
> status quo? If it's to maintain the status quo of a stodgy, decades
> old group content
> with sitting around and playing remember when,  then by all means,
> keep the meetings at Apple, but consider changing the name to
> SouthBayLisa?If the
> goal, however, is to reinvigorate this as a professional group for
> networking, information exchange, collaboration, and professional
> advancement, then consider
> that the other 3/4 of us will never find Cupertino convenient for
> anything (except pot shots).

Previously:
> to get to BayLisa [from SF] is 2.25 hours of driving

If Cupertino is too far to go for residents or workers near SF and
northwards, one imagines SF is too far to go for residents or workers near
Cupertino and southwards, and this latter set presumably constitutes the
core attendance at BayLisa mtgs.

So, it seems there is a reasonable chance most of the core attendance of
BayLisa meetings would cease attending if meetings were moved to SF, or
even significantly closer to SF.

And if so, regardless whether 'stodgy' is applicable or not, effectively
BayLisa would have done "out with the old blood", and would survive only if
"new blood" -- a new core of attendance -- formed.  This being a separate
constituency, why not just form a new group to cater to that constituency:
SFLisa or NorthBayLisa or even EastBayLisa?

Even a unilateral decision to split by some small number of persons (as
opposed to being via vote or consensus of entire group) is not necessarily
a deathknell for the old group, nor cause for permanent disaffection
between the groups.

Of course, if normal meeting attendance is already near the bottom limit of
sustainability (a condition I don't know about), then maybe splitting and
its attendant reduction of attendance at each of the split parts would be a
deathknell.  If so, the matters of splitting and moving are serious and
deserve careful analysis, not just the whim of a few writers.

 ---   Brent