Location..

Michael T. Halligan michael at halligan.org
Thu Oct 13 10:29:23 PDT 2005

On Oct 13, 2005, at 9:26 AM, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Ray Wong (rayw at rayw.net):
>

>> Oddly, when I was working in the south bay, it turns out that it's
>> really not all that bad to drive up into SF.  I think there's a big
>> psychological barrier....
>>

> Reminds me of a story.  I was living way out in San Francisco's Outer
> Sunset district near the end of Golden Gate Park, and suggested to
> some
> friends that we go to dinner at Joe's of Westlake.  They were
> non-plussed:  "But _that's_ in Daly City!  It's in _San Mateo County_!
> Let's go to Pot Sticker in Chinatown."
>
> I said, "Er, it's a 5-minute trip down Sunset to Joe's; it's 40
> minutes
> to Pot Sticker.  What colour is the sky in this world of yours where
> Chinatown's closer?"
>
> Funny thing about the classic S.F. mindset:  It's a rare day when they
> even think of venturing south of Army^WCesar Chavez.  (Present company
> is assumed to differ.)
>
> Anyhow, I'll bet that anyone able to put together and run San
> Francisco
> meetings would have no trouble convincing the Board to call them
> BayLISA
> meetings, regardless of existing BayLISA events occurring elsewhere --
> unless of course this is one of those ever-popular "Here, I have a
> great
> idea for a new volunteer initiative for _someone else_ to do", in
> which
> case it's been fun as always.

<off-topic>South of Army? I don't know about that.. South of 30th,
definitely. There's a good
chinese place a block away from Army, the Jade Teahouse. That block
also has
the best salvadorean restaurants in city, and the city's only
Jamaican/Italian place, Emma's
Spaghetti shack.  Going beyond 30th, however, became sad once the
only good restaurant
in the excelsior, Bistro E Europe, went out of business. There is
still, however, a great
liquor store at Mission & Silver, Mike's Liquors, which is the only
place I know of who will
deliver a keg of guinness on 3 hour's notice.  There are also three
great bars (the Knockout
[formerly the Odeon], Argus, and El Rio).  We also shouldn't forget
Mitchell's Ice cream, or
the dozen great restaurants up on Cortland in Bernal.. ALl of them
south of Cesar Chavez
(but not too far south!). And for slumming it, the best burrito shop
is a block south of Army
on Bayshore  in the warehouse district, Taqueria el Potrillo.

The sunset is an odd comparsion, actually. People in the sunset might
as well be in sunnyvale,
it's definitely a bedroom community... In the Sunset, SUVS, Bad
Drivers, and stores who
roll up their sidewalks at 7pm abound</off-topic>