Violation of Security/Privacy...

Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr gwen at reptiles.org
Tue Oct 11 19:31:48 PDT 2005

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, Jennifer Davis wrote:
>> So they go through a lot of stuff and hash it, and complain if the hashes
>> match ones they don't like. The only thing it sends back
>> to the company is "Yes, this hash matched". As invasions of
>> privacy go, I'm not impressed. As for stealing resources,
>
> Do I know what the hashes are?  Does the presence of something on my system
> mean that they should have access to it?  Considering the number of things
> that can be hidden in packets (as illustrated by the instructive talk Mark
> Langston gave last year as one example), should I really trust that some
> process poking around in _all_ my files/processes is genuinely ok?

Er... perhaps there's some confusion here about what exactly a 'hash'
is in this context.  Even at the most simplistic, presuming that
they're using something like an MD5 hash, which under most conditions[0]
will always be unique to any given bit of data, you're still not talking
about something that would allow them to reverse engineer that piece
of data.

 	MD5 (test.out) = 3730fc15d054e3ead3db0e1049f28959

would allow you to say that the following was identical:

 	MD5 (test) = 3730fc15d054e3ead3db0e1049f28959

... but wouldn't say a thing about the file contents[1].

cheers!
[0] Yes, collisions are possible, but hard to come by in general.
[1] If you -can- tell me about the file contents based on a hash, I'd
be interested and amused.