Violation of Security/Privacy...

Jennifer Davis sigje at sigje.org
Tue Oct 11 13:28:11 PDT 2005

Interesting articles here:
http://www.alternet.org/columnists/story/26402/
www.rootkit.com/blog.php?newsid=358

In summary, it appears that Blizzard is doing some interesting things with
looking at process/files running on the system to keep people from
breaking the EULA.

Now I'm wondering about other software companies attaching this kind of
spyware into their software.  We don't allow this kind of thing in our web
browsers, we specifically install Spyware detection kits, and in general
we have very strong opinions about privacy.

Is this legal?  Just the idea that a bunch of different software companies
implementing this kind of scheme with their software, and _stealing_ my
system resources gets me kind of angry.

Maybe you don't play WoW, so you might not find this applicable to you,
but if there isn't any comments about this, then perhaps companies will
start accepting that it's completely ok to do this sort of thing.

Jennifer