Violation of Security/Privacy...

Elizabeth Zwicky zwicky at greatcircle.com
Tue Oct 11 17:10:37 PDT 2005

So they go through a lot of stuff and hash it, and complain if the
hashes match ones they don't like. The only thing it sends back
to the company is "Yes, this hash matched". As invasions of
privacy go, I'm not impressed. As for stealing resources,
exactly how is it stealing system resources for a game to use
cycles while you are running it? It's stealing resources by
reading more files than it should and wearing out your disk
bearings too fast? If using more CPU than you need is an
offense against propriety, there isn't a lot of software
that avoids stealing resources.

And no, this doesn't violate anybody's 4th amendment rights
because the 4th amendment only applies to the government, and
World of Warcraft is not run by the legitimate government
of the United States.

I believe companies decided this was completely OK long ago,
and nasty EULAs are not uncommon. I don't even think this one
is particularly unreasonable.

	Elizabeth