Tech jobs in the midwest?

Michael T. Halligan michael at halligan.org
Wed Oct 5 11:23:41 PDT 2005

David Wolfskill wrote:

>On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 10:21:06AM -0700, Michael T. Halligan wrote:
>

>>From time to time I seem to hear a lot of people complaining about the
>>economy in the bay area.. ....  This always
>>gets followed by a flurry of spam from recruiters,
>>most of them offshored recruiters in call centers, calling me about
>>"wonderful jobs in ohio".
>>

>Hmmm...
>

>>I think the existance of the midwest will forever perplex the truth
>>

>"perplex the truth?"  Hmmm...?

This is what happens when your doctor forbids you from consuming
caffeine.  's/perplex/perpetuate/'

>>about the job situation (which I think is overblown
>>by a few overtly vocal people),
>>

>While I'm fairly sure that there are some who overstate the extent to
>which the employment situation in the SF Bay area is difficult for many
>reasonably talented folks, I would also observe that none of the folks
>I have heard saying positive things about the economy were either
>significantly underemployed or had been unemployed for a significant
>amount of time.
>
>Disclosure:  I count myself as both "reasonably talented" and
>"significantly underemployed."

I just don't see it.  Maybe two or three years ago it was a bit tight,
but the past year or so has
been great. I've been off of the market for quite a while now, only
posting my resume on the
rare occasion to generate new consulting leads.  Given my relative
inactivity in my job search,
I am constantly being called and emailed by recruiters, some of them who
even have relevant
jobs.

The flipside of this, is every job lead I'm given that doesn't just
annoy me, I do my best to find
a placement for, and have helped at least a dozen people in '05 find
gigs. I think the key to a job
search is networking. Resumes, frequencies of postings, current state of
the market, none of that
really matters. Good people are good people, they just need to find a
way to  connect with good
job leads, which isn't always easy.

>>and will continually keep spamme... err
>>I mean recruiters in business.
>>

>:-}
>

>>Recruiters from the midwest are fun.  Am I the only one being
>>spammed/called by them so often, unsolicited?
>>

>No; there was another just today who tried to spam baylisa-jobs with
>some blurb about someone to customize some CRM system in Illinois.
>
>I added the domain name in question to baylisa.org's access list with a
>rejection message informing them that they'd been blacklisted, and that
>if they wanted to fix htat, they needed to send an apology to
>postmaster at baylisa.org.
>
>There are ... many ... such domain names in that access list.  :-}
>
>Since I started doing that stuff with the access list, I've had only one
>contact postmaster@; that one turned out to have been an innocent
>mistake, and was corrected.
>
>Peace,
>david   (sometime postmaster at baylisa.org, among others)

What I find really fun about  the job spammers, is I'll get a call from
a spammer, and
either give them good advice on where to post, or give them good advice
as to what
type of janitoral career they shoudl be persuing instead. 1/5th of the
time, I'll see
those people google my name (looking at apache exit logs),  find some of
my postings in
baylisa or sage, and then post their same flamebait job listings there.

We need an anonymous, un-logged, un-archived mailing list to share
opinions about some
of these job postings & companies, because I've seen some really
frightening ones get
posted.  It annoys me that companies have so many avvenues to unfairly
deject potential
employees, and job-seekers have zero recourse to  warn good people off
of bad jobs. On the
flipside of that coin, it'd also be a good place to speak the accolades
of the good companies to
work for/good recruiters to work with.