Tech jobs in the midwest?

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Wed Oct 5 10:47:46 PDT 2005

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 10:21:06AM -0700, Michael T. Halligan wrote:
> From time to time I seem to hear a lot of people complaining about the
> economy in the bay area.. ....  This always
> gets followed by a flurry of spam from recruiters,
> most of them offshored recruiters in call centers, calling me about
> "wonderful jobs in ohio".

Hmmm...

> I think the existance of the midwest will forever perplex the truth

"perplex the truth?"  Hmmm...?

> about the job situation (which I think is overblown
> by a few overtly vocal people),

While I'm fairly sure that there are some who overstate the extent to
which the employment situation in the SF Bay area is difficult for many
reasonably talented folks, I would also observe that none of the folks
I have heard saying positive things about the economy were either
significantly underemployed or had been unemployed for a significant
amount of time.

Disclosure:  I count myself as both "reasonably talented" and
"significantly underemployed."

> and will continually keep spamme... err
> I mean recruiters in business.

:-}

> Recruiters from the midwest are fun.  Am I the only one being
> spammed/called by them so often, unsolicited?

No; there was another just today who tried to spam baylisa-jobs with
some blurb about someone to customize some CRM system in Illinois.

I added the domain name in question to baylisa.org's access list with a
rejection message informing them that they'd been blacklisted, and that
if they wanted to fix htat, they needed to send an apology to
postmaster at baylisa.org.

There are ... many ... such domain names in that access list.  :-}

Since I started doing that stuff with the access list, I've had only one
contact postmaster@; that one turned out to have been an innocent
mistake, and was corrected.

Peace,
david   (sometime postmaster at baylisa.org, among others)
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Prediction is difficult, especially if it involves the future. -- Niels Bohr

See http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/publickey.gpg for public key.