Tech jobs in the midwest?

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Wed Oct 5 11:48:26 PDT 2005

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 11:23:41AM -0700, Michael T. Halligan wrote:

> >>I think the existance of the midwest will forever perplex the truth
> >
> >"perplex the truth?"  Hmmm...?
> >
> This is what happens when your doctor forbids you from consuming
> caffeine.  's/perplex/perpetuate/'

Oh.  Had *me* perplexed....  :-}

> >Disclosure:  I count myself as both "reasonably talented" and
> >"significantly underemployed."
>
> I just don't see it.  Maybe two or three years ago it was a bit tight,
> but the past year or so has
> been great.

I'm happy for you.  Your experience is apparently rather different from
mine.

> I am constantly being called and emailed by recruiters, some of them who
> even have relevant jobs.

I'll grant that my experience with recruiters has been quite limited
since a rather unpleasant experience with one in southern California
around 1980.

> Good people are good people, they just need to find a
> way to  connect with good job leads, which isn't always easy.

Indeed.  And perhaps BayLISA can help with this...?

> We need an anonymous, un-logged, un-archived mailing list to share
> opinions about some of these job postings & companies, because I've
> seen some really frightening ones get posted.

Well, that could be a bit challenging, though mostly doable, as a
mailing list.  I observe that any recipient of messages from the list
could create an archive, and could utilize that information in various
ways.

> It annoys me that companies have so many avvenues to unfairly deject
> potential employees, and job-seekers have zero recourse to  warn
> good people off of bad jobs. On the flipside of that coin, it'd
> also be a good place to speak the accolades of the good companies
> to work for/good recruiters to work with.

And without an archive, a given subscriber will only see the messages
that are sent after the subscription takes effect.

I'm becoming less certain that a "mailing list" is wanted for this
application, vs. (e.g.) some Web-based forum.

Folks who are sufficiently interested in implementing something like
this should start communicating with one another.  There's a mailing
list, services-tf at baylisa.org, that is intended for folks implementing
services for BayLISA.

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Prediction is difficult, especially if it involves the future. -- Niels Bohr

See http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/publickey.gpg for public key.