NAS or SAN?

Sergey Galitskiy bagio at genesyslab.com
Tue Jan 18 18:03:04 PST 2005

As usual, it depends on tasks/requirements/budget

* proposed 1TB ( 4x 300GB @ $250 ) solution is OK,
but I can see only ~500GB of reliable (RAID 1) usable storage
Besides, there is no scalability and performance can suffer as well
(I assume ATA drives, based on price)

* NetApps are really great (robust and quite easy to deploy)
but pricey and have limited functionality (embeded OS)

* FC SAN can be pricey too, but fast, flexible and extremely scalable
If you ok with previous generation (1GB) and used HW,
FC SAN can be affordable also

* iSCSI or FCIP are new and not widely supported

* I completely support the idea to stick with one vendor
to minimize incompatibilities - e.g. Sun provides full product line
to build FC SAN: storage, FC switches, HBA, servers and software

* This resource can be useful:
http://storagemagazine.techtarget.com/