NAS or SAN?

Tue Jan 18 19:19:47 PST 2005

hi ya sergey

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Sergey Galitskiy wrote:

> As usual, it depends on tasks/requirements/budget

:-)  and the "manager/decision maker"

> * proposed 1TB ( 4x 300GB @ $250 ) solution is OK,

"ok" for the budget contraint that wants to build 50TB of storage :-)

the most expensive i've seen was $15M for 15TB database apps
( 15TB of pure disks is just over $15K... plus lots of managerial
  and dept signatures and approvals to get to $15M pricing :-)

> but I can see only ~500GB of reliable (RAID 1) usable storage
> Besides, there is no scalability and performance can suffer as well
> (I assume ATA drives, based on price)

i think/claim that 1Us ( 2 or 3TB per 1U ) are extremely flexible and
scalable as long as one does not need to store a single file that
exceeds the size of the total capacity of the disks

i prefer raid5 for incremental/full backups
and raid1 for live backups with a dns change to turn it live

c ya
alvin