NAS or SAN?

Tue Jan 18 16:21:59 PST 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Rich LaReau wrote:

> One of my customers is looking to expand their storage, and has asked for
> some advice about what's available, etc.  I've used one of the new Linksys
> Etherfast devices which seemed simple and robust, but was wondering if
> anybody here has had more experience with other pure NAS devices, something
> like NetApps or even an iSCSI SAN router like the one from Sanrad?  Is it
> pretty much a price/storage/speed issue, or would you pay more for
> something more "standard?"

you'd be paying "lot less" for something more "standard" than san/nas ...

	1TB ( 4x 300GB @ $250 ) is cheap ( still one 1U chassis )

	12TB - 15TB ( blades ) in 4U starts to get pricy in terms of
	"time" and backup process/proceedure/policy/scripting

if they have emc/brocade and other vendors... it's best to stay with
those vendors to minimize incompatibilities and finger pointing

if they simply "mount remote-backup:/opt/BACKUP /mnt/BACKUP"
to their local servers, than simple secure nfs will be 5x cheaper and just
as fast or faster with the same fiber nic cards

c ya
alvin