Where to buy UPS batteries?

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Thu Nov 11 12:04:24 PST 2004

>Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:39:27 -0800
>From: Marc MERLIN <baylisa-local at merlins.org>

>I need 3 12V "standard size" batteries (the ones that you get by default in
>most UPSes).
>Where would you say I can pick them up without being gauged completely?
>(i.e. paying as much/more than a new UPS)
>I'm ok with either new or lightly used (as long as the wear is the same on
>all of them)

I recently had occasion to replace the 5 batteries in my main UPS, as
well as the 10 in its expansion cabinet.  After posting here and getting
some feedback, I bought 15 batteries from Rage Batteries, in San Diego
(<http://www.ragebatteries.com/>).

The price was toward the low end of the range of prices I found online,
and shipping wasn't near as bad as I expected it to be (UPS ground).  (I
happened to be home when they came; I told the UPS driver that she
didn't need to carry the second box all the way up the stairs to our
front door, as I'd just be taking them into the garage anyway.)

The replacement appears to have been successful.  I have not had much
occasion to test the UPS under its production load (which is fine by
me), though I did test it a bit with various test loads before
re-deploying it.  The batteries appear to be new.

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
I resent spammers because spam is a DoS attack on my time.

See http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/publickey.gpg for public key.