big boys - Re: Remote install of solaris on a 220R

Jim Hickstein jxh at jxh.com
Sat Jun 26 16:48:05 PDT 2004

> 	<foggy crystal ball>
> 	it's gonna happen  sooner or later ..
> 	</foggy crystal ball>

(Apropos of nothing:) So is a trillion-dollar class action, and
commensurate "disgorgement", against you-know-who that will finally
establish product liability for retail software products once and for all.
Including operating systems.  That is why they will go along with it: to
try to quash "free" competitors.  (It won't work.)  Maybe even in my
lifetime.  I live in hope.

Or is this already free-as-in-dom-not-free-as-in-beer-software orthodoxy?
I'm a bit out of touch.

ANYway: I think we might as well go with Debian (or Fedora) and just say
"It's Linux 2.4; go out and find a high-school kid to take care of it."
For anyone buying fewer than a hundred of these things, that should do.
(In fact, it's been working OK.)  I don't expect more than one or two per
customer, in our case.