Remote install of solaris on a 220R

Michael T. Halligan michael at halligan.org
Thu Jun 24 21:23:01 PDT 2004

> > Heh. I've finally given up on redhat.. at my day-gig we're redhat
> > ES, soon with provisioning server, but in my company, it's debian
> > all the way.
>
> We ship an old RedHat inside a company-branded box we sell, in the
> (outdated) hope that they can buy support from RedHat if they want it.  We
> haven't updated to ES yet.  We need to do something.
>
> I love Debian and use it myself every chance I get (having spent the effort
> to get up the first part of the learning curve, I find that it rocks), but
> the boss needs someone commercial to take the bla..., uh support work.  Or
> thinks he does.  What should I do?  (Talk about changing the subject....)

The learning curve was odd.. I only started using Debian last year,
around the same time I realized I had deployed over 1500 redhat
servers.. A couple of false starts before I really dug into it, now
I'll never go back.. The only saving grace redhat has at this point is
it's provisioning module and satellite service, which is under $51k/year
(before server or workstation licenses.. workstation and your own rpms
saves you a pretty penny) for entitlements to I think 60 servers, and
means you don't have to spend months developing your own deployment,
versioning and management tools.A

I'm not quite ready to use debian in a mass deployment though, I'm
finding that the package management system is so easy to use, it's also
easy to deviate from standard configs.. Sometimes I think the poor
quality of redhat's packaging system makes you put more effort into
package selection..

On the other hand, the fact that I've got 9 servers deployed and running
very happily in my cabinet @ 365, and none of which uses more than
390megs for the install, makes me happy.

> > And sunsolve, I think I've long given up on sun's website.. For
> > pinouts, stokely is the place to go..
>
> Celeste will be pleased to hear that.

Michael T. Halligan
Chief Geek