support for Red Hat Linux (and Debian)

Scott Weikart scott at igc.org
Sat Jun 26 14:27:58 PDT 2004

On Saturday 26 June 2004  1:45 pm, jimd at starshine.org wrote:

> >> We ship an old RedHat inside a company-branded box we sell, in the
> >> (outdated) hope that they can buy support from RedHat if they want it.
> >> We haven't updated to ES yet.  We need to do something.
> >
> > You can at least send them to progeny.com for support.  It's cheaper
> > than ES.
> >
> >> I love Debian and use it myself every chance I get (having spent the
> >> effort to get up the first part of the learning curve, I find that it
> >> rocks), but the boss needs someone commercial to take the bla..., uh
> >> support work.  Or thinks he does.  What should I do?  (Talk about
> >> changing the subject....)
> >
> > There's a fair chance you can buy commercial support for Debian from
> > progeny.com (both Debian and Progeny were founded by Ian Murdock).
> >
> > -scott
>
>  The problem here is that Progeny doesn't want to sell invidual little
>  support contracts.  I seem to recall that they'd need a sizable
>  corporate/enterprise class contract.

You're probably right.

My comment was quite imprecise; Progeny doesn't provide generic
support for anyone, it provides software support for security fixes.

For small scale users, Progeny charges $5/computer/month for a
security service that provides source and x86 binary RPMs for Red
Hat Linux 7.2, 7.3, 8.0, and 9:

  http://transition.progeny.com/

And they've only promised support through the end of 2005 (whether
they do it longer will depend on demand).

-scott