Remote install of solaris on a 220R

jimd at starshine.org jimd at starshine.org
Sat Jun 26 13:45:02 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 09:13:56PM -0700, Scott Weikart wrote:
> On Thursday 24 June 2004  8:05 pm, Jim Hickstein wrote:
>>> Heh. I've finally given up on redhat.. at my day-gig we're redhat
>>> ES, soon with provisioning server, but in my company, it's debian
>>> all the way.

>> We ship an old RedHat inside a company-branded box we sell, in the
>> (outdated) hope that they can buy support from RedHat if they want it.  We
>> haven't updated to ES yet.  We need to do something.

> You can at least send them to progeny.com for support.  It's cheaper
> than ES.

>> I love Debian and use it myself every chance I get (having spent the effort
>> to get up the first part of the learning curve, I find that it rocks), but
>> the boss needs someone commercial to take the bla..., uh support work.  Or
>> thinks he does.  What should I do?  (Talk about changing the subject....)

> There's a fair chance you can buy commercial support for Debian from
> progeny.com (both Debian and Progeny were founded by Ian Murdock).

> -scott

 The problem here is that Progeny doesn't want to sell invidual little
 support contracts.  I seem to recall that they'd need a sizable
 corporate/enterprise class contract.

 Jim's company isn't going to engage Progeny or Red Hat, etc.  They just
 want to be able to refer the customer to a nationally recognized
 support provider.  (The business Linuxcare was supposed to be in when
 I worked for them).

 All I know of are niche, mostly local, consultancies.

--
Jim Dennis