BayLISA -> BayISSA

Elizabeth Zwicky zwicky at greatcircle.com
Sat Jun 19 15:52:50 PDT 2004

At 4:06 PM -0700 6/18/04, Robert Hajime Lanning wrote:
>We are incorporated, right?
>How do we have insurance to cover our public meeting venue?

That's four questions:

Is BayLISA a legal entity? To the best of my belief, yes, and it has been
since forever. I remember the paperwork vauely. Bjorn set it up.

Is "corporation" the type of legal entity BayLISA is? I think so, but
if you told me you had evidence to the contrary, I wouldn't be shocked.
If you told me there was no evidence at all, that wouldn't really shock
me either as many things were misplaced early on.

Do you need to be a coporation to get insurance to hold a public meeting?
Again, my evidence on this point isn't great, but I don't think so.
Paying the (exorbitant) premium and providing evidence you aren't a
more-than-average risk is all I remember insurance companies being
interested in.

Do you need insurance to hold a public meeting? This one I can
answer with authority: No, you don't. Some venues will require
it. Others will just rely on their own insurance. BayLISA, having
checked out the cost of insurance, uses venues of the second type.
Public libraries, being poor but wise, require insurance. Computer
companies, being rich and at least in this way innocent, generally
do not.

It might be five, since I suspect that you could argue quite a bit
about whether BayLISA actually has public meeting venues. If Apple
decided not to let people wearing blue shoes onto their premises,
BayLISA would suddenly be closed to people wearing blue shoes until
it found a new venue. It may be a public meeting, but it's decidedly
*not* a public venue.

	Elizabeth

----
zwicky at greatcircle.com
Newest project: Opal Eleanor Armstrong Zwicky, born March 4, 2004
Nothing much happened in the last year except a death, a wedding,
flesh-eating bacteria, a move or two, a birth, and a few new jobs
in the family.