throw away - Re: Datacenter tools?

Chuck Yerkes chuck+baylisa at snew.com
Sat Jun 5 18:32:45 PDT 2004

Quoting Alvin Oga (alvin at Mail.Linux-Consulting.com):

> On Sat, 5 Jun 2004, Michael T. Halligan wrote:
>
> > Oddly enough, I used to work with Dowdle a couple of years ago,  and we
> > hosted @ exodus.. We had a trash can in our datacenter.. We needed one,
> > our ceo made us use homebuilt servers, and we were throwing out failed
> > junk once a week :)
>
> i assume you were throwing away fans and power supply and disks ??
>
> one needs good fans and ps ...

yes yes and yes.  I'd also put in RAM.  I buy only a couple makers.
(mushkin, corsair, kingston, perhaps 1-2 others).

I'll only use Antec power supplies in machines I build for friends.
I *might* use an enermax (one came with a case I got), but nothing
else.  5VDC needs to be 5VDC.  Not 4.5 when the video card kicks on
hard with heavy graphics.  5.0.

> motherboards rarely fail, at lest the ones i use, same fo no problems fans
> and ps too, but is fun to see all the dead fans/ps at colo's
> - remember the make and model numbers of the ones that are dead
Not always.  I when to deal with a machine and he had ALL the fans
blowing out.  Aside from creating a terrific vacuum - ok, likely
he just created no air FLOW.

And it's all about the FLOW.  Count how long an SGI will run with
no cover (esp the Indigo and Crimson)..