throw away - Re: Datacenter tools?

Sat Jun 5 19:45:16 PDT 2004

hi ya

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004, Chuck Yerkes wrote:

> > i assume you were throwing away fans and power supply and disks ??
> >
> > one needs good fans and ps ...
>
> yes yes and yes.  I'd also put in RAM.  I buy only a couple makers.
> (mushkin, corsair, kingston, perhaps 1-2 others).

yup..and if they wanna save 50% - 100% of the memory prices..
	i wind up going with generics :-)
 	( but its NOT worth it ... and kingston is a good tradeoff
	( for quality/reliability vs price

> I'll only use Antec power supplies in machines I build for friends.
> I *might* use an enermax (one came with a case I got), but nothing
> else.  5VDC needs to be 5VDC.  Not 4.5 when the video card kicks on
> hard with heavy graphics.  5.0.

i wouldn't touch either antec/enermax .. but than again .. i seldom
deal with dead ps ...
	- for 1Us, its zippy or sparkle and i wouldn't touch any other
	brand(reseller) for 1Us

	- gazillion resellers with their own labels covering the
	zippy or sparkle logos

> > motherboards rarely fail, at lest the ones i use, same fo no problems fans
> > and ps too, but is fun to see all the dead fans/ps at colo's
> > - remember the make and model numbers of the ones that are dead
> Not always.  I when to deal with a machine and he had ALL the fans
> blowing out.  Aside from creating a terrific vacuum - ok, likely
> he just created no air FLOW.

yup

one has to have as much or MORE air coming in than what goes out
	- need more fans sucking fresh into the case ( harder to do )
	- lessor number of fans sucking air OUT of the case

	- most people have tooo many fans suckng air out of the case
	which causes "thin air" ( vaccuum ) and the itty bitty fans
	won't have any air to bite into

- if one isn't sure, cover the fan with paper and watch your bios temp
	or disconnect the fan is better

	and light up a cigarette or candle and watch the air flow

	and if one has $$$ .. buy a 3D finite element simulator to model
	all the various heights of parts inside the case

- the p4 cpu temp should be about 35C while doing kernel compiles,
  anything higher means the heatsink/fans/air are NOT doing their job??

fun stuff ... playing with "air"
c ya
alvin