qemu Re: Reliable laptops around $1k?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Jul 24 12:22:13 PDT 2004

Quoting Jim Hickstein (jxh at jxh.com):

> Personally, I have a G4 TiBook (Mercury) that's now 4 years old and still
> fast enough (barely).  A UNIX machine that can print: revolutionary!

Praise _is_ owed to the Church of Steve for publicising CUPS, though
they hardly created it.  Although consenting Unixers retain the right
to experience the Pain That Is lpr if they insist, Apple has helped
alert them to the fact -- already known to many of us -- that they can
safeword out of it.  On any *ix.

Deirdre recently gave me her old G3 iBook, and I'll definitely keep
Panther around as a dual-boot component:  Rumour insists that NeXTStep
is still alive under there somewhere; if I scrape off enough of that
lamentable candy coating, it might become visible again.  And when I get
tired of being in someone else's church, there's yaboot, and so on.

#include <long_term_advantages_of_real_open_source.h>

--
Cheers,                           "This is Unix.  Stop acting so helpless."
Rick Moen                                               -- D.J. Bernstein
rick at linuxmafia.com