lpr/cups (was laptops)

Chuck Yerkes chuck+baylisa at snew.com
Sat Jul 24 15:08:24 PDT 2004

Quoting Rick Moen (rick at linuxmafia.com):
> Quoting Jim Hickstein (jxh at jxh.com):
>
> > Personally, I have a G4 TiBook (Mercury) that's now 4 years old and still
> > fast enough (barely).  A UNIX machine that can print: revolutionary!
>
> Praise _is_ owed to the Church of Steve for publicising CUPS, though
> they hardly created it.  Although consenting Unixers retain the right
> to experience the Pain That Is lpr if they insist, Apple has helped
> alert them to the fact -- already known to many of us -- that they can
> safeword out of it.  On any *ix.

Now, let's fear the bugs that are in there that Will Be Found.
I'd feel better with basic privsep and chrooting in CUPS.

But yeah, after 20 years of LPR (and those EVIL printcap settings for
setting up serial printers and plotters), it was good that someone
made it such that I can open a window and LOOK AT 100 jobs queued
for a printer that's broken and DRAG all those jobs to the twin
printer down the hall.

For all the Good of LPR, good lord it's dated and missing functionality.