qemu Re: Reliable laptops around $1k?

Chuck Yerkes chuck+baylisa at snew.com
Sat Jul 24 10:23:32 PDT 2004

Quoting Michael T. Halligan (michael at halligan.org):
> So what is the status of being able to run Windows on a MAC? My wife

When I showed up at my first West Coast job (a startup) and They said,
 "ok, we have to get you guys laptops.  What do you like?"

I pointed at the 14" nice bright computer in front of me that
was running, as I recall, Visio.  14" being a bit rare then,
she thought it looked good.  Oh, what it is?  I pointed at
the Apple logo.  She looked.  She looked at the windows
desktop.  At the apple.  the start menu.  Shook her head,
"that's just wrong."

I killed the windows window and kicked open the RedHat instance
of Virtual PC.  The 266MHz "wall st" emulating Windows 95 was
about the same speed as the 233MHz desktop PCs they had (mine,
oddly enough, only ran FreeBSD.)

That was 1998.  Virtual PC presented a, er, virtualized x86
machine.  Enough to install FreeBSD or Linux or that gaming
OS - the one with all the holes.

Oh, "They" got me a sony viao that was ok at BSD but couldn't run
windows reliably - regular hard seizes.  I worked around it
forever, but customers kept passing me excel and visio stuff  so
I confiscated an ex-marketer's Mac.

> I've personally been drooling over the 17" powerbook for a while, but am
> waiting until next quarter to buy one.

I'm sitting at one now.  I deeply phear a screen smack.  In 12
years, I've only had 1 laptop break.  I pulled out a G3, started
it up and - oh,  the screen was in fragments.  No idea how it
happened.