qemu Re: Reliable laptops around $1k?

Jim Hickstein jxh at jxh.com
Sat Jul 24 11:18:47 PDT 2004

> I'm sitting at one now.  I deeply phear a screen smack.  In 12
> years, I've only had 1 laptop break.  I pulled out a G3, started
> it up and - oh,  the screen was in fragments.  No idea how it
> happened.

To judge by the repairs we had to do on our fleet of ThinkPads, they leap
off of buildings under their own power. :-)

If you get a new ThinkPad, get the 3-year warranty from IBM.  It paid off
for us, handsomely, though the machines were much more rugged than the
Dells they replaced.

Personally, I have a G4 TiBook (Mercury) that's now 4 years old and still
fast enough (barely).  A UNIX machine that can print: revolutionary!  A Mac
with ifconfig(8): incredible!  I recommend them to anyone, but especially
geeks, who need ifconfig(8) and all that.  (Earlier I went through a phase
of dual-booting OS 9 and LinuxPPC on my Wallstreet, the one with travel
stickers from all over the world.  OS X is better.)