qemu Re: Reliable laptops around $1k?

Jim Hickstein jxh at jxh.com
Sat Jul 24 11:24:26 PDT 2004

> There's always virtual PC. I don't run it, but I know many people who do.

I run it.  Well, walk it.  It's not for the heads-down user of anything on
Windows.  (For that I keep a nearby Linux/x86 PC running vmware, displaying
to my desktop G5 with X.  X11, that is.  Even so, I haven't had to touch it
in quite a while.  MS Project, Visio, and Garmin GPS software, are the only
things I still do there.)

The last VPC version I bought did not support the G5, and I haven't
upgraded yet. (It wasn't available last time I looked.)  Now that Microsoft
has acquired it, it's only a matter of time before it gratuitously breaks
certain host OSs that don't start with W.  And the latest thing I ran
inside it was W2KPro; no doubt XP is even slower, and the one after that
... well, you can guess.  I'll hang onto that vmware machine for a while,
yet, but keep VPC for travelling.