"Strong Scripting Skills" - a definition? - 3am

Sun Jan 25 04:09:16 PST 2004

hi ya michael

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004, Michael T. Halligan wrote:

> I think it's more of an issue as to how you approach things. When I think strong
> scripting skills, I think an admin who wants a solution rather than a fix. Somebody
> who makes it a point to automate everything, and create strong, reproducable
> solutions rather than just typing in commands time and time again.

yuppers...

sometimes "good skills" allow you to fix other peoples mistakes
in code or logic or bugs or boundry conditions or "tasks"
	- "weak skills" wont be able to take over other peoples prior work

	- whether its cheaper/better to rewrite or keep going with what
	they have is a separate ball game of analysis

not all things can be automated, one has to do it manually the first time
	- writing of the new scripts/apps that are not yet automated
	- testing that the apps does what it supposed to be doing
	- testing the tests for normal vs abnormal operation

one of my trick questions for "i have strong scripting/programming skils":
show me how many different ways can you write code for  "hello world" ?
	or more complicated "examples" to find their skill levels
	( a flow chart and explaination can be done for bigger tasks )

	everybody usually puts down the alphabet lists of programming
	languages they know... or once knew

c ya
alvin