"Strong Scripting Skills" - a definition?

Jesse Adelman jesse at boldandbusted.com
Sat Jan 24 18:02:04 PST 2004

Hi, all. This may be a question whose answer is "If you have to ask,
you don't have them." ;) I'm a Linux/*NIX sysadmin, and I've seen
always seen positions that require "strong scripting skills". I've
scripted tasks to automate them, using Bash, Perl, Bourne, and others.
I know my way around CPAN. But, I know that there are many others with
better scripting skills than me (like, for instance, the authors of
"UNIX Power Tools" or, say, "Perl Cookbook"...). So, how will I know
when I can say with confidence that I have "strong" scripting skills?
Is there a standard out there?

I've been working with Linux for years, and I just got my LPI Level 2
cert, but I don't want to treat that like MCSE's often do (i.e.
bragging about the cert without really knowing how good, or poor, they
are).

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Jesse Adelman
http://resume.boldandbusted.com/