"Strong Scripting Skills" - a definition?

richard childers / kg6hac fscked at pacbell.net
Sat Jan 24 21:14:09 PST 2004

>how will I know
>when I can say with confidence that I have "strong" scripting skills?

[1]   If you can teach your interviewer(s) something that they did not
know, you can say you have strong scripting skills. Note that this
definition is relative to your interviewer's skill level.

[2]   If you have source code that you don't mind showing others, doing
something serious that they lack, and your readers can understand it,
you have strong scripting skills. Extra points if they did not know that
they needed it until you walked into the room and started talking. Extra
points if it runs on their computers without tweaking. Extra points if
it can be downloaded from the Internet and demo'd during the interview.

[3]   If you have scripting skills that span several shells and can talk
knowledgably about past projects using them all, you probably have
strong scripting skills.

[4] If you have scripting skills that span several scripting languages
and can talk knowledgeably about the differences between interpreted and
compiled code, know who Kernighan and Plauger are, and can quote from
The Element of Programming Style ... you probably have strong scripting
skills.

All that having been said, you will occasionally run into anal
programming types who spent some time at college poring over shell
source code, and whom think they are better than you. They will be eager
to prove it to you; they might even be right. You probably won't want to
work with them, anyway, and they probably need to spend a few years
writing production shell scripts for a living to get that ivory tower
polish off them; keep moving and don't look back.

(Live365 comes to mind ...)

Remember that there are thousands of programmers out there who taught
themselves shell programming; don't feel bad about what you don't know,
but do feel sorry for the people you meet whose superiority does not
allow them to raise others to their level of education.

I have heard of people whom represent themselves as adept at shell
programming, whose jaws drop when you ask them, 'Which shell?'. So care
is indicated.

Regards,

-- richard

--