CfV [Call for Volunteer(s)] -- internal BayLISA stuff

Alan DuBoff aland at softorchestra.com
Sat Feb 21 15:45:33 PST 2004

On Saturday 21 February 2004 14:08, Chuck Yerkes wrote:
> Current?  Solaris?  you jest.  vi from 1988?  ftp unchanged in
> fucntion from 1985?  inetd unchanged since SunOS 3.5?  Can
> we talk about a smarter syslog?  At least sendmail and bind
> are finally close to current.
>
> no no, you install solaris, then you spend 2-3 days bringing it
> up to the 90's (or perhaps the "uhoh"'s if motivated).

No, I spend 10 minutes installing the Companion CD which Sun provides and has
most all the tools I need. You spend 2-3 days because presumably you don't
know where to get the Companion CD.

If you want to talk about current, let's not use Solaris 8 on BayLISA,
upgrade it to something a bit more current...not to mentioned a SPARC 10. The
fact is, that's what BayLISA has.

> I'm not bitter, I just tire of having to fight management to put
> tools default installed on MacOS X, Linux, BSD and others onto
> "production sun machines."   sudo? a syslog that can filter? mtree?
> df/du that isn't a burden to use on 500GB partitions (counting
> triplets is less productive that "df -h" getting "12G free" rather
> than panicking about misreading 1.2gb free.)

Then why use Solaris 8 on the BayLISA machine to begin with? Why use a SPARC
10 even?

> > Solaris 8 02/02 is the latest. If you have 02/02 (possibly MU 7 or MU 8)
we
> > can replace the Companion CD easy enough.
>
> Or put on gcc 3.3.2 from sunfreeware or pkgsrc (from netbsd) for solaris.

pkgsrc will be how Sun moves in the future. I have an internal server running
inside Sun with ~1700 packages built for both SPARC and x86.

This doesn't help folks like BayLISA, because I don't think Sun should even
continue to support Solaris 8. How long do other companies support their OS?
There's still a lot of 8 in production though, maybe most of those customers
haven't gotten your message, how about sending it to them! (i.e., start with
BayLISA;-).

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.