CfV [Call for Volunteer(s)] -- internal BayLISA stuff

Chuck Yerkes chuck+baylisa at snew.com
Sat Feb 21 14:08:46 PST 2004

Quoting Alan DuBoff (aland at softorchestra.com):
> On Friday 20 February 2004 21:02, Alan DuBoff wrote:
> I went snoopin' around my Solaris 8 x86 install and see that I have gcc
> 2.95.3. Not that we need it, but if you want to run Solaris 8 on the BayLiSA
> server, you should really make it current and place the latest Companion CD
> on it.

Current?  Solaris?  you jest.  vi from 1988?  ftp unchanged in
fucntion from 1985?  inetd unchanged since SunOS 3.5?  Can
we talk about a smarter syslog?  At least sendmail and bind
are finally close to current.

no no, you install solaris, then you spend 2-3 days bringing it
up to the 90's (or perhaps the "uhoh"'s if motivated).

I'm not bitter, I just tire of having to fight management to put
tools default installed on MacOS X, Linux, BSD and others onto
"production sun machines."   sudo? a syslog that can filter? mtree?
df/du that isn't a burden to use on 500GB partitions (counting
triplets is less productive that "df -h" getting "12G free" rather
than panicking about misreading 1.2gb free.)

> Solaris 8 02/02 is the latest. If you have 02/02 (possibly MU 7 or MU 8) we
> can replace the Companion CD easy enough.

Or put on gcc 3.3.2 from sunfreeware or pkgsrc (from netbsd) for solaris.

Perhaps when Sun moves to Ath64, they'll update their userland tools.
I fear a "new tcp stack written from the ground up" in Solaris A.