Social Hacking [was: "Strong Scripting Skills" - a definition?]

Piotr T Zbiegiel peter at usestrict.org
Wed Feb 4 09:06:10 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 12:47, Jeff Younker wrote:

> Finally she changed the subject line of the resumes she
> was emailing out.  She changed the subject from 'Java
> coder...yada yada yada' to 'American Citizen. Canadian
> trained engineer. Suma cum laude.'

Without going into too much detail, does your friend have a name which
might make a recruiter/hr person think she is not a US Citizen?  My name
is a bit of a doozie itself, but I'm not sure if it has ever impacted my
job search negatively.  However, I have been told by co-workers in the
past (all in good fun, mind you) that they expected a Russian immigrant
with a heavy accent to show up for the interview.  For the record, I was
born and grew up in the US and the only accent I've been accused of
having is a slight Chicago accent. DAH BEARSSS;)

Later,
Peter