domain locking-- got lock?

Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr gwen at reptiles.org
Wed Dec 1 17:05:05 PST 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Strata R. Chalup wrote:
> The previous policy allowed your registrar to request confirmation from the
> domain holder before performing a transfer.  Now, apparently, transfer
> requests *must* be honored unless the domain is "locked".    I don't think
> there's been a rash of spurious transfers or domain hijacks yet, but
> assuredly it will happen, especially when the spammers figure out that
> hijacking an interesting domain or three could generate scads of web hits.
> To say nothing of the spamming possibilities.  Bleah.

Er... I'm afraid that you've jumped to conclusions here.

The purpose of the policy change is to prevent registrars from sitting
on legitimate transfers against the wishes of their
wanting-to-be-ex-customers; you still have to approve the initial
request unless you are in the (hopefully extremely rare) situation of
having an actual registrar trying to steal your domain.

A normal user-driven transfer request will still require an ack from
the domain owner.  This takes care of the problem of registrars refusing
to let people transfer away (which was a fair sized problem, whether
through cluelessness or malice, depending on the registrar).

cheers!